Some progress in tracking down my phantom loads! I had a shot at this a few months ago using the Fluksometer but I found for low power loads (like everything off) the update rate was very low. Also I had to arrange inverters and batteries to power the Fluksometer and my Wifi/DSL while I was testing which was messy.
Anyway I purchased a true RMS clamp type ammeter that can measure the current on individual circuits, as long as you can get to one conductor (doesn't works on pairs). This works OK but I am measuring at the bottom of its 400A range, so not very accurate.
So I turned everything off at the power points, and used the clamp to measure the power going into the house at the fuse box while I switched off each breaker. I found that the phantom current was still 0.5A, all through breaker for "circuit #1" (which goes to power points in the house).
Thats 120W, or 2.9kWh a day! I can account for most of my other power (e.g. nerd equipment) that is on all of the time.
So need to work out what's hooked up the circuit #1.
Then the wife came home so electricity was needed again and I had to stop. It appears that my alarm is part of the problem, thats about 0.2A. However it may have been charging it's battery after a house power down, so need to check that again.